Monday, June 15, 2015

Good Morning Good Universe


Everyone is nervous on their first day work, I was no exception. Could you really blame me? Four years of food service work was not exactly a blueprint into going into creative development in the film industry. I kept a straight face about the whole thing but if you really knew me you would be able to tell something was up. Ironing is something I hate doing, and I ironed the SHIT out of my work clothes. I'm talking a full press and I barely know how to use an iron effectively. It should also be noted that I had all of this done the morning before my first day. In short, I am never this responsible. In fact, my friends and family have been known to call the nearest doctor if I so much as make my bed. If you don't get the picture I am trying to paint, just know that I was extremely nervous to be starting what could possibly be my new career.

My alarm sounds off at the beautiful hour of 5:30am. I took a shower, forced down half a bowl of cereal, put on my expertly ironed clothes, and headed off into the jungle known as Los Angeles. I navigated Sunset Boulevard like my life depended on it, eventually crossing into West Hollywood. Before I knew it I was in Beverly Hills, a section of the city that lives up to its reputation. My poor and dirty Nissan Sentra stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the Ferrari's that proliferated the streets. That would not deter me though, the only thought in my mind was to get to work on time and the clock was ticking. Mondays at Good Universe are meeting days and interns are expected to be there at 7am sharp. I found the office building in downtown Beverly Hills with relative ease, the problem though, and this is a constant problem in Los Angeles, was finding parking. Interns were instructed to park in a designated parking lot near the building, a parking lot that my GPS could not find. inching closer and closer to my deadline, I parked in the first garage I could find.

My phone read 6:55am, I was running toward the offices; sweat rolling down my head. I reach the office suites and to my surprise the doors were locked. Was I late? I frantically checked the emails to make sure I was in the right location, everything checked out. Now in a panic, I contacted the front desk of the building via an outdoor phone. I gave my name and I was refused access to the property. Annoyed and angry, I emailed Good Universe to inform them that I was locked out of the office building and unable to ride the elevator to their suite. Thinking my morning could not get any worse, I once again opened up intern materials sent to me a couple months prior. To my surprise I found that I was not expected to be at work until 8am on Mondays not 7am. I then received an email from Good Universe explaining the same thing. Around the same time I spotted the parking lot I was meant to park in from the street. With a new found vigor mixed with slight embarrassment, I relocated my car and recollected myself for the the first day of work.

The hour passed quickly, and I was thrust into a world I had only thought I knew. After meeting the other interns we were immediately seated in a room full of executives and figures I had only read about beforehand. I myself was seated next to Joseph Drake, if you are unfamiliar with him just know that he is the man. Things started with the interns and other members of creative "pitching" projects they had read to Joe and Nathan, the other co-founder of Good Universe. This was proceeded by a more business oriented meeting where the executives talk about projects currently in development. The various names dropped, the astronomical figures discussed, and the projects named made me pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. My first day started with me thinking I had already screwed up and ended with me being a part of a meeting with two people responsible for some of my favorite movies and franchises. I can definitelyget use to this.







No comments:

Post a Comment